Monday, November 16, 2009

It does exist!

So, 2 months ago, Sarah called me and asked me if I wanted to run in the San Antonio Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon with her. I laughed at her and told her that I can't even run the mile to the end of my street without stopping twice to throw up! Then, that Sunday at church, my pastor was talking about Making Goals and "setting the date." He said the best way to follow through with something is to make a date to complete it. That way you have something definitive to work towards. SO, I was standing there in the shower and it hit me. I CAN DO THIS! So, I called my good friend Tasha and told her that I would go out and buy a jogging stroller that day if she would sign up with me. She agreed. It was on.

We began jogging together in the mornings. And let me remind you that I am NOT a runner. Never have been. I was the kid picking flowers on the runs in school. SO, I was starting from scratch. Poor Tasha tried to encourage me. I was getting better, but still nowhere near where I needed to be. Then, Tasha realized she could not come that weekend to San Antonio with me because she sings at church and couldn't get off. So, I was already registered and going in this alone. Not entirely alone because my sister was doing it, but she is waaaaayyyyy ahead of me in running experience. So, I started at it alone. I kept telling people that I was doing it so I couldn't chicken out. It worked, because that is the only reason I didn't back out.

Then I found out my friend Kelli from Humble would be there and she was more on my level. I'm not sure what came over me that morning, but it was not me. I was energized, enthusiastic, and excited. I started off doing awesome! I jogged for 8 miles without stopping!!! and thats when I realized that a RUNNER'S HIGH DOES EXIST!! I loved it. At about mile 9 my knees, ankles, and hip flexors were about to give out on me. But I kept praying Phil 4:13- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. And He did. He gave me the endurance and perseverence to keep going. AND I DID IT! In 3 hours 1 minute I crossed the finish line. I had just run 13.1 miles!! OH MY GOODNESS... I cannot believe I accomplished this.

I couldn't be more estactic. I feel like a true runner now. I want to do it again. My body hates me right now and I feel every bit of 30 years old. But I loved it. This was the first, but will not be the last. Here are a few pics to remember this great day.... And I have the t-shirt and medal :)


Me and Kelli Fain at about mile 3- Still smiling!
Me, Kelli, and Sarah after the race with our medals!
My sweet sister. Thanks for pushing me!





2 comments:

Alisa Hope Wagner said...

You go, girl! Someday, I hope to run a halfer!

Becca - www.thatstoocute.net said...

That's so awesome!! What a huge accomplishment!!

My hubby & I just signed up for a 1/2 marathon too!! The most I've ever run is a 10K!! So,I'm totally going in this as a newbie too!! Start praying for me!! I need the help! I have until the end of January to train!!

You're blog is exactly what I needed to read!! Isn't God good the way he puts people in your life to encourage you!!

I'm so proud of you!! Way to go girl!!

Followers